Saturday, August 13, 2022

Welcome the Stranger by Lavera Wade

Research shows there are no less than ten scriptures that speak of welcoming the stranger.

My favorites are Matthew 25:37 those who welcome a stranger welcome Christ.

Hebrews 13:1-2 - Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels, unaware.

There is much written about welcoming strangers and showing hospitality.  Today I am writing of the angels who have shown me hospitality and welcomed me a stranger.

A long time ago my husband and I found ourselves lost in Helsinki, Finland.  I saw a woman coming out of a church and I went to her and asked her if she could direct us to the Art Museum.  She replied “you are very lost, take the trolley that way toward town.”  I advised I had no euros for the trolley could I buy some from her?  She reached in her purse took out 4 euros waived away our money, and said “hurry or you will miss the trolley”. So, we ran as we called over our shoulder our thanks.  We were so grateful for her kindness we walked home from the museum so we could save the euros as a reminder of her kindness, and example of how to treat others on our way.  The euros sit in a prominent place on our book shelf, and as I dust, I often ask a blessing of the angel that showed us such hospitality in a strange land. 

My husband and I recently moved to a new town and it has been a joy to get to know my neighbors, a couple of them are leaving for work very early in the morning when I am often found working in my garden. We exchange waves quietly so as not to disturb still sleeping others.

Again, I was am the stranger who is welcomed. 

We are blessed when we are given the opportunity to show the face of Christ to others by helping them in some small way.  We are likewise blessed when we recognize the angels who touch our lives with a friendly wave, even if we do not know their name.


No comments:

Post a Comment