Monday, May 2, 2016

God's Spirit Works in Many Ways by Judy Gardner



I started studying the book of Acts in February so when I was asked if I would write a blog based on the scripture about Pentecost and the Holy Spirit descending on the disciples as they began their ministry, I thought what a coincidence. But now I know the Holy Spirit directed me to study the book of Acts at this time for a reason.
A group of Galileans learned languages of other countries and that is what we are called to do so so can share the gospel around the world.  The Holy Spirit came to give power to preach the gospel and the Holy Spirit will do the same to us. 
Even when atrocities occur in life God pours out his Spirit and provides salvation to all who call out his name.
The Holy Spirit comforts us and intercedes or supports us.  He will reveal the truth to those who believe.  The Comforter will teach us all things and bring all things to our remembrance.  Jesus will give us peace.  Others will see God through our lives. 
The Holy Spirit does not lead us away from conflict and suffering but will comfort us wherever the Spirit leads us.  The Spirit is the comforter.  The Spirit is the connectedness with God in all conditions of life.  The comfort is Christ's gentle blessing.  The Spirit strengthens and prepares us for mission.
God's spirit was poured out on me and gave me the strength to take care of my husband Dale who had a debilitating disease that slowly took away all his abilities to do anything as well as care for himself.
          In the beginning of Dale's sickness God sent an angel to me who was able to help me to bear the burdens of what this disease does to people.  This angel's husband had passed away a few years previously of the same disease Dale had.  She shared with me many different things she faced and how she dealt with them and where she got help.  She helped me be ready to deal with many issues that I would not have been able to comprehend and know how to handle.

Hospice workers were also angels sent from God who interceded and gave me respite and time to get away for a few hours so I could continue caring for Dale and make his last months and days the best they could be under the circumstances.
God's Holy Spirit was poured out to me also when I was able to get away for two or three days a couple different times in those last few months.  Dale could no longer stay by himself so I was able to take him to a care facility where the employees took care of him.
My husband passed away in November 2014.  Last fall I received a telephone call from a lady whose husband had recently been diagnosed by his doctor with the same disease Dale had. 
The Holy Spirit was poured out to me and gave me the ability to share with this lady and hopefully make it easier for her to deal with the atrocities this disease brings about.
She told me about a bible study she was part of that was being held at her house so she wouldn't have to leave her husband alone.  For some time I had been thinking of looking for a bible study group.  There are so few in our congregation and some live too far away so we do not have a group that meets.  I asked this lady if I could join there group and she said of course.    

God's Spirit works in many ways.


1 comment:

  1. I can see that God has surely blessed you. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete